Langsam Law LLP

“There is no better advocate in New York, and maybe the universe, to have in your corner.”

Can You Recover Settlement from a Hit-and-Run?

Posted June 14, 2016

{1:25 minutes to read} By definition, a hit and run means the perpetrator leaves the scene—but does the victim still have legal recourse? New York residents have access to a special fund for motor-vehicle-related injuries that assists in hit-and-run as well as un- or under-insured motorist cases.

Under New York law there is an organization called MVAIC, which stands for Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation. MVAIC maintains a fund for no-fault and bodily injury coverage for New York residents. MVAIC helps cover up to $25,000 in medical bills and lost wages incurred as a result of injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident, whether it is a hit and run or you are party to an accident where the person at fault is not carrying sufficient auto liability coverage.

While MVAIC is a great resource, it is also a good idea to carry coverage for underinsured or uninsured motorists. New York only requires drivers to carry a $25,000 bodily injury liability policy, which can be woefully insufficient for serious injuries. While injured parties may sue the liable party personally, the liable party may not have any assets, and it very rarely results in recovery of the full amount needed for the claim.

Ask your insurance agent about adding a supplemental policy for uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. The additional cost is minimal compared to the peace of mind you will have if you are involved in an accident.

Langsam Law has successfully recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars for hit and run victims by filing claims with MVAIC.


Note: Prior results do not guarantee similar results.

Share Button